Wednesday, June 24, 2009

almost at the lake!

We are leaving in 2 days for our lakehouse in Vermont. My parents will be taking care of me and the kids (they have been saints). Dave is coming up to for the weekend and then has to go back home on Sunday to work. I really have been lucky with all my family support at home. They cook, clean, take care of the kids, get groceries......I couldn't ask for more! I kind of feel like a kid again...being taken care of. It's been so long since I'm not the caretaker. While I feel pretty darn good for someone who just had their hip replaced 19 days ago, I still feel vulnerable because I can't lift things and can't walk without my crutches. I still stay home most days just reading, watching movies or going online. It has rained for over a week solid........that does not help me to get out there and walk. My Dad is beside himself with boredom.......he keeps asking "So when do I get to leave?????". LOL.

I took my first 'standing up' shower since my surgery. I had been using a shower stool, but I just never felt completely clean using that thing. It felt great to stand there, but I held onto the shower bar. All very tiring though and my back hurt afterwards.

I heard some sad news today about a musician named Jay Bennett. I didn't know who he was until today because I don't really follow obscure indie music. His story was just sad and it hit close to home. He died while using a painkiller (the patch called fentanyl which was recalled at one point). They are not sure if he OD'd using the recalled patch (or newer version) as the old ones had a tendency to leak into the bloodstream causing breathing problems and even death. He had been petrified of his upcoming total hip replacement (due to his stage antics...jumping around and fell). He was quite depressed about it and wrote it on his Myspace blog. He also didn't have health insurance to cover the operation and had been trying to scrape up the money for it (I do have health insurance....and mine was totally covered). I can't imagine having to worry about finances too! I just for some reason felt really bad for this guy who was just 45 when he passed. It's just scary to think that life can just leave you like that at any time. Part of the reason for my blog is just that..........to help people who are dealing with the depression of hip surgery. It truly can be terrifying and depressing in the years, months and weeks prior to and after the surgery. I know because I've been there and I want to share that everything usually does turn out ok in the end. It's OK to feel anxious and depressed. It's all normal!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your blog. I am 37 and have hip dysplasia too. I have surgery in my future-dont' know the details yet. I am in exploring options stage. You are so right about the anxiety and depression part. I cry easy these days. It does help to know that there are others going through the same thing. I can get through this-it's just the uncertainty and not knowing what's the right thing to do. Sounds like you are coming along well overall. Looking forward to reading more posts. Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie,
    Thanks for your post. I am glad you found me. If you ever have questions...please ask. I have been through so much with my left hip. I'm not sure if you read all my older posts (my hip history and surgery story). Whatever you do....don't have arthroscopy...they are finding now that it fails in dysplasia patients more times than not. I was unfortunately one of those who had the surgery and it made me 10x worse. I had to have my hip replaced because I had nothing left....cartilage was gone. I limped in pain with every step I took. I am pain-free in my new hip now, but I have a long way before I feel normal again. Have you looked into PAO? If not, Dr. Millis at Children's Hospital in Boston is amazing (i saw him before the THR to see if I was a candidate). I was not due to the severe arthrosis. Just don't let your hip go too long without treatment because then you will wind up with a THR if you don't get the PAO which is better for you in the long run. I wish you all the luck. Please stop by anytime :)
    Lulu

    ReplyDelete