Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pre-Admission Testing.....

Could it take any longer????? I arrived at Mass Gen at 12:30.......immediately got into x-ray and then waited in Dr. Burke's office for his face-to-face meeting. He was a pleasant man....unusually so for an orthopedic doctor I have come to find. He even made a few dry jokes and seemed so fully confident in his skills that when I asked questions, he gave me that "are you seriously asking me that question" sort of face. I suppose he has to answer dumber questions than that.....but he's just like "I'm going to take great care of you....no worries".

That took from 12:30-2:00. Then...I proceeded to venture to another one of the three Mass Gen buildings outside. Hobbling of course. I finally found a place to grab a bagle and figured I'd eat it at the pre-admission testing place. Well....I get in there and I was saw every kind of person you could imagine (if you can imagine a room full of every ethnicity, every language spoken and just strange staff behavior. The first nurse who took me for an EKG had absolutely ZERO modesty about me taking off my shirt (get this...she had to lift up each boob to put an electrode under it)... not if that doesn't spoil your next meal...I dont' know what will. She was humming while doing this in her Trinidad accent. Then, back to the waiting room where I met up with Dr. Sullivan (a woman who I befriended while waiting the hour at Dr. Burke's office). She is a psychologist and extremely friendly. She and I hit it off right away and I wish she could be my roommate if only her surgery were a few days later. She seemed the only normal one of the litter today....but I could be misjudging the lot (but I don't think so). Then we waited....and waited........until 4:00 rolls around. I'm finally brought in to meet with anesthesia who was a really nice, young woman who I thought was a nurse right out of school. She was smart and knew her shit. Then, a 40-something nurse came in to talk to me about the same stuff the anesthesia person talked to me about (same questions). OK, can I just answer them once for once?????? Then............after all those hours......at 6:30, I got my blood drawn. And of course....my blood didn't want to come out, so she had to pull the rubber thing harder until I literally thought my arm would pop off. She finally got needed blood..........and then wanted a urine sample. Got to go home..........through Boston rush traffic and here I am..........ready to hit the sack. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment